Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity (ΚΚΨ)
Eta Eta Chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi National Band Fraternity
Be it known that Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Fraternity for College Bandmembers, is an organization operating exclusively in the field of the college and university bands, and for the following several purposes:
- To promote the existence and welfare of the college and university bands and to cultivate at large a wholesome respect for their activities and achievements.
- To honor outstanding bandmembers through privilege of membership extended as a reward for technical achievement and appreciation for the best in music.
- To stimulate campus leadership and promulgate an uncompromising respect through the medium of the college band for gracious conduct, good taste and unswerving loyalty.
- To foster a close relationship between college bands and promote a high average of attainment by the performance of good music and selection of worthwhile projects.
- To provide a pleasant and helpful social experience for all engaged in college band work and to cooperate with other musical organizations in any manner consistent with the purposes of the institution at which chapters are located.
Kappa Kappa Psi is a fraternal organization that promotes the advancement of college and university bands through dedicated service and support to bands, comprehensive education, leadership opportunities, and recognition for the benefit of its members and society.
We, the brothers of Kappa Kappa Psi, believe that service to the college or university band program fosters responsibility, loyalty, and leadership; that a spirit of brotherhood is enhanced by the participation in a band program; that music is a universal language and truly the greatest of the arts; and that through fraternal participation, each member will strive for the highest.
Founded on the campus of Oklahoma State University on November 27, 1919, Kappa Kappa Psi is a guiding light with which band students can grow, learn, and develop themselves and their band programs. Kappa Kappa Psi is an organization of opportunity and quality, brimming with historic, well-developed leadership and membership programming that students use to become great leaders, better band members and better adapted young adults prepared for what lies ahead of them.
Kappa Kappa Psi operates primarily as a student service and leadership recognition society whose chief aim is to assist the Director of Bands in developing the leadership and enthusiasm that is required of his/her band. Our goals are to provide the band not only with organized and concentrated service activities, but to give our membership valid and wholesome experiences in organization, leadership and social contacts. The honorary nature of membership is based on our premise that “it is an honor to be selected to serve” this band, its department of music, its sponsoring institution, and the cause of band music in the nation’s colleges and universities.
The educational value to the student of participation in a smaller group’s activities cannot be overemphasized. Experience in planning, organizing and carrying through projects to benefit the larger band organization are necessary if a well-rounded and responsible student leader is to be trained. The fraternal group, as embodied by our active chapters, provides this needed training group for the student by establishing both worthy goals and worthwhile guideposts for a meaningful college experience.
Membership in Kappa Kappa Psi thus becomes an educational and service activity as well as social one. And it is this kind of activity that enriches the band student’s life and sharpens an appreciation for both the best in Music and what it takes to achieve it. It is to this end that our National Fraternity is dedicated, and we cordially invite your participation in this effort.